Google Cache Removal

>>  Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A while back I cleaned up my LinkedIn profile and made it private.  Sometime later, whilst doing a search of myself (you should occasionally) I noticed that the Google search results were still displaying a precis of my profile.  This was exactly the information I had wanted to make more private! 

The reason it still showed is because of Google Caching
There is a very clear description of what Google caching is here.

In short it means that whilst the web page might have gone, Google will still return results linking to it.

It is easy to get Google to clear the cached entry.

Google have clear instructions on how to request removal.

For removal of personal information from search results follow this link http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=164133

Remember you need to be sure first that the page with your information on is no longer actually available and that following the link returns a 404 error or similar. Then use the Google tool to request the removal of the url from the cache:


http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals

The small print says it can take up to 90 days to remove the entry, my experience was I could no longer see the url in a google search after 24 hours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP